Sponge for a cake mold 22 cm
- 200 g spelt flour
- 10 g baking powder
- 1/2 tsp soda
- 1 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp apple cyder vinegar
- 120 g fine brown sugar cane
- 50 g 70% dark chocolate
- 250 ml oat milk*
- 80 g odourless coconut oil
*Use either oat milk or soy milk. They are the only ones suitable for this sponge.
The ingredients are for 1 sponge. You need to bake two.
The ingredients are enough for a cake mold of 22 cm, do not bake in a bigger one. If you decide to use a smaller of 20 cm, be mindful on the baking time. You might need a few minutes more.
- 250 g apricot jam
- 2-3 tbsp rum
This is enough for the mid layer and top layer of the cake.
- 200 g 70% dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
* You can use almond flakes on top for decoration
1. Stir all the dry ingredients in a bowl
2. Melt the chocolate with coconut oil over medium heat.
3. Melt the coconut oil over low heat.
4. Add the apple cyder vinegar in the dry ingredients, then the oil and lastly the chocolate milk.
Use a whisk to combine all the ingredients together, pour the mixture evenly( very important) into the baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake on 180C degrees for about 30 minutes.
Repeat the process for the second sponge.
You must leave to cool both sponges before assembling the cake.
Heat the jam and rum over low heat shorty and stir to combine.
Even the sponges with a knife if needed, especially in the mid parts, but be careful not to overdo it because it could split in half.
Spread the jam on the lower sponge and carefully place the second sponge on top, spread the second layer of jam and then prepare the chocolate coating.
Melt the chocolate and oil. Pour it over the cake and decorate with almond flakes.
I know it's not a real Sacher then, but we like it this way.
Serve with a side of vanilla icecream topped with warm apricot jam.
Do not keep the cake in the fridge because it will lose the softness and moisture.